Sunday, July 2, 2017

Revisiting Up the Mtn, page 50, poem #116

The term this other world  is a reference to the civil rights essayist and haiku poet Richard Wright. In the last year of his life Wright was living as an American expat in Paris. Wright was dying and wrote over I believe it was 4,000 haiku in the last year of his life. Although I personally perceive many of these 4,000 haiku as senryu. So this was my way of paying homage to him, and performing a rudimentary form of honkadori. For me “Up the Mtn” - “in my hovel” was and still is another world to me, both literally and figuratively. While Wright found it outside of America, in Europe and Africa, an the world he created on the page with his words.The image that is part of this haiga is also somewhat dreamy or other worldly.

No comments:

Post a Comment