Friday, June 23, 2017

Revisiting page 26 of "Up the Mtn"


        To me the three poems on this page (Up the Mtn 24, 25, & 27) consists of a very long tanka, bookended by two long haiku, all of which speak of endings, death, and rebirth. These are much longer in syllable count, and even longer in mora. They harken back to the more rudimentary style of haiku first introduced in the West. Could, would, should they truly be considered haiku and tanka by today's standard, I think probably not by most critics and haijin, and haiku readers today. Still they work for me, speak to me. 
#24 bulging to splatter, #25 life closing in, & #27 fleeting amber, but wait they glow. The glowing for me is what bring them all full circle from splattering, closing in, and fleeting. Then on the same line where life, our fire begins it's fleeting, we, it, begin to glow. As if life has begun to once again returns, coming to life and glowing growing with life. Still will this glowing life be momentary or more of a long winded firestorm? Who knows? Rather then speak as if I know I just speak of observing the moments, the transitions from life to death to life again.




No comments:

Post a Comment